Each year since 2008, the Willmar Kiwanis has embarked on a “peanut” fundraiser. The club solicits grant applications from non-profits throughout the community. The projects are reviewed and evaluated by the Grants Committee and a winner is selected. This winner is the “Peanut Partner” for the fundraising campaign.
The Kiwanis Club then goes to work seeking donations from businesses and individuals in exchange for a box of peanuts. Over the years, the Kiwanis Club has donated over $80,000 to various “peanut partners.” A large percentage of the campaign funds go to the “peanut partner;” however, smaller donations are also made to other nonprofits throughout the community.
The 2016 “Peanut Partner” is Willmar Community Ed & Rec – Scholarship Fund. They are starting a scholarship program to help pay the cost of fees for activities and classes for children whose families are unable to pay the full cost.
The following have been “Peanut Partners” over the years:
· Safe Avenues – Playground for Kids
· YMCA Mentoring Program
· Willmar Public Library – Homework Help Program
· Harmony Visitation Center
· Willmar Public Schools Child Guide Program – Wheels for Kids
· United Way & Willmar Food Shelf – Support for Growmobile
· West Central Industries – Lego Program for Challenged Youth
· United Way Imagination Library & Little Free Libraries.